Military Banner Ceremony
May 26, 2023
Centennial Park, 296 N. Main St.
The City of Porterville is proud to host a ceremony in celebration of the Military Banner Program honorees from 2023. The ceremony will take place on May 26 at 12:00 PM in Centennial Park, 296 N Main St. The general public is welcome to attend. This year, 71 new banners will be displayed for Memorial Day, bringing the overall total to nearly 900 banners along major streets of Porterville. The City of Porterville is extremely proud to fill the town with these special tributes to military personnel and appreciate the community's commitment to honoring our hometown heroes.
View 2023 Honorees
Search for an honoree by name in the search box (top left) or browse through all individuals.
The Military Banner Program was started in 2016 for the Porterville area as a way to honor both current and past military personnel for their service to the nation and community. The banner acts as a public expression of gratitude that pays tribute to the courage, commitment, and heroism displayed by individuals who have served in the United States Armed Forces. Loved ones may nominate a military hero to be honored with a banner that will show the individual’s name and photo. Individuals may also self-nominate for the program. The banners will be displayed on major streets throughout the City. They will be raised each year for Memorial Day.
December 1, 2023- February 1, 2024
To qualify for the program, the following criteria must be met:
- The honoree is a current or past member of the United States Armed Forces.
- The honoree is a current or past resident within the Porterville area.
- The honoree's discharge from military service must be honorable.
- Submit completed nomination form (available December 1) along with a military photo of the service person. Digital or physical photographs are accepted.
- The current application fee is $245 (subject to change) and shall be the responsibility of the applicant. The City will sponsor and waive the banner fee for any nomination that is submitted on behalf of local military personnel that were killed in action (KIA).
- Nominations will be accepted December 1- February 1.
- Banners will be raised for Memorial Day in May.
- Once the integrity of the banner has diminished over time, it will be removed and presented to the sponsor and/or honoree. The sponsorship can be renewed with the fee for a new banner.
The 2023 application fee is $245 and shall be the responsibility of the applicant. The application fee covers the cost of the banner and installation hardware. The fee is subject to change based on the pricing of the materials.
The banner will feature a full-color, double-sided design with service member’s name, military branch, years of service, and photo. The applicant must provide a military photograph (digital file or physical) of service member, preferably dressed in military uniform or from time in military service. See sample banner
Banners will be raised in celebration of Memorial Day in May. Location requests may be made to be near particular banners (i.e. family/friends) installed in the same application period, but specific pole location requests will not be accepted. Banner locations are determined based on the parameters of a map developed by the Military Banner Committee and Porterville City Council. Banner locations are final. The City of Porterville shall make the final determination of the banner location.
View Program Policy