Print this page
May 27, 2022
Centennial Park, 296 N. Main St.
The City of Porterville is proud to host a ceremony in honor of the 2020, 2021, and 2022 Military Banner Program nominees. Commemorative banners for 451 former and active service members from the Porterville community have been raised along major streets in Porterville. The community is invited to attend and recognize these hometown heroes and all those in military service.
Military Banner Map-Search for an honoree by name in the search box (top left) or browse through all individuals.
About the Program
The Military Banner Program was started in 2016 for the Porterville area as a way to honor both current and past military personnel for their service to the nation and community. The banner acts as a public expression of gratitude that pays tribute to the courage, commitment, and heroism displayed by individuals who have served in the United States Armed Forces. Loved ones may nominate a military hero to be honored with a banner that will show the individual’s name and photo. Individuals may also self-nominate for the program. The banners will be displayed on major streets throughout the City. They will be raised each year for Memorial Day. See sample banner
Next application period: Dec 1, 2022- Feb 1, 2023
- Submit completed nomination form along with a military photo of the service person. Digital or physical photographs are accepted.
- The current cost of the banner is $175 (subject to change) and shall be the responsibility of the applicant. The City will sponsor and waive the banner fee for any nomination that is submitted on behalf of local military personnel that were killed in action (KIA).
- Nominations will be accepted December 1- February 1.
- Banners will be raised for Memorial Day in May.
- Honorees will be included in the Staff Informational Reports section of the City Council agenda prior to the banner being raised.
- Once the integrity of the banner has diminished over time, it will be removed and presented to the sponsor and/or honoree. The sponsorship can be renewed with the fee for a new banner.
To qualify for the program, the following criteria must be met:
- The honoree is a current or past member of the United States Armed Forces
- The honoree is a current or past resident within the Porterville area
- The honoree's discharge from military service must be honorable