Print this page
Lifeguard Certification Course
CPR Training & First Aid for the Professional Rescuer
Interested in a great summer job? Through online videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you can learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/ AED and other skills needed to work as a Red Cross Certified Lifeguard.
American Red Cross Training Class includes CPR training for the professional rescuer and community first aid. All of these are required for the lifeguard positions with various facilities in the community.
For more info or to register call the instructor, Karen, at (559) 310-4304.
Full Lifeguard Training Class*
Begins April 13
The course prerequisites skills test will be administered as the first thing in the class. Be prepared! This is a blended learning course. Participants must complete the online work prior to the start of the class.
Lifeguard Renewal Class
Certified Lifeguards are required to renew their certification every two years.
*Participants MUST attend ALL dates to be certified. No refunds will be given for failure to complete prerequisites. Completion of this course does not guarantee employment with the City of Porterville.
Candidates must be 16 years of age on or before the final session of the class and complete the following prerequisites:
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breastroke or a combination of both. Swim goggles may be sued.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head first, to a depth of 7-10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and tread 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point, with both hands holding the object and keeping the object at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.