Print this page
We are excited to announce that our Adult Learning Center (ALC) is now open. We continue to offer our Read to Succeed Adult Literacy Program. If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Tutor or a Learner, please stop by our Adult Learning Center. We look forward to serving you.
The Learning Center is located at 15 E. Thurman Ave, Suite B, on the 2nd floor of the Centennial Plaza Building on Main Street.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm (Masks are required to enter the ALC)
The Adult Learning Center provides the following services:
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Adult Tutoring Assistance
- English as a Second Language
- 3 Tutor Rooms
- Study Areas
- Job Search Resources
For more information call the Literacy Coordinator at 559-782-7493 or the Literacy Assistant at 559-782-7487.
Mission Statement: To provide free one-on-one literacy instruction to empower adults to succeed as individuals and members of our community.
We offer free, confidential one-on-one tutoring for adults. Learners must be 16 years or older and be out of school to qualify for the program.
- Available 2 hours per week to meet
- Assist with Basic Reading & Writing Skills
- Help Learners achieve their goals
- Tutors will receive free training and materials
Benefits to Learners:
- Improve Reading and Writing Skills
- Assistance with GED exam
- Assistance with Citizenship exam
- Assistance with Job search
Resources: The following applications may be printed, filled out and returned to the Adult Literacy Center in the Porterville Public Library.
- USA Learns Citizenship Course: USA Learns now has a U.S. Citizenship course to help you prepare for your citizenship or naturalization interview. USA Learns Citizenship will also help you with the information and language you need to become a U.S. citizen.
- USA Learns: helps Spanish speakers improve their English skills in basic reading, writing, speaking, and life skills.
- California Library Literacy: supports Library Literacy programs throughout California.
- Sense-lang.org: to improve typing skills.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: offers forms and information about the U.S. immigration process, along with practice tests.
- Southern California Library Literacy Network: offers resources and ideas regarding literacy issues.